Monday, October 5, 2009

A Sympathy card and an experiment

Recently I needed a sympathy card to send out to the family of a friend that had passed away unexpectedly. I suppose nobody likes creating sympathy cards, but I feel handmade ones are so much more meaningful to the family members who receive them. I kept this one pretty simple. I used the Inspired by Nature stamp set as well as the sentiments from Close As A Memory. I also stamped the inside of the card, but didn't think to photograph that before I sent it out. I did use a retired background stamp Canvas. I love the texture it adds to the card base. For anyone that reads my blog on a regular basis, you've probably figured out how often I use Confetti White cardstock. I love how it adds interest to any image you stamp on it.
Now for something totally different. I've decided to take up another craft! Call me crazy.....one of my friends has.....you know who you are! I wanted something to do at night when I'm spending time with my husband while he flips through every channel our Direct TV receiver gets.....*rolling eyes*. Years ago, I used to do counted cross stitch. I loved doing it then, but I don't have the patience or eyesight for that anymore LOL So I decided on embroidery....simple embroidery. I got the idea from a blog I visited that offered a free pattern that you transferred on a flour sack kitchen towel. That got the wheels in my head turning. I wondered how I could fit stamping into this new found craft. So this is my experiment. I stamped the Baroque Border wheel onto my washed and ironed flour sack towel. I used Bashful Blue ink because I didn't want a dark color to have to stitch over. I plan on stitching in a single color. I didn't heat set the ink, because after I'm done stitching I hope the ink will wash out and it won't be visible under my threads. I'll update the process as I go along. I have high hopes that this will work! Hopefully some people on my Christmas list will be getting some of these stitched flour sack towels come Christmas morning!

3 comments:

Blog Owner said...

Beautiful card Lyn, and what a clever idea about the embroidery!! I cannot wait to see how it works out for you!

Julie S.
www.inkedujour.com

CowtownCrafter said...

I've been doing this for a few months as well. I like to also stamp with stazon, color in the image with fabric crayons and after heat setting it I sew around the edges. I have been teaching an after school program to 3-5 graders. We did this on pillow cases and they have loved it! Even the boys :) Good luck with your towels and they are addicting *S*

Elizabeth *^..^* said...

Great idea!! Looking forward to the completed piece and what you think about working with this method.

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash